Ref NoMS99
TitleAberfeldy Congregational Church
HistoryAberfeldy Congregational Church was formed at the end of the eighteenth century: the church identified 1790 as the foundation date although other sources suggest a date nearer to 1800. The Aberfeldy Congregational Church first met in a room in Dunkeld Street before moving to a house on the corner of Market Square in 1806. The church removed to a new building in Factory Street (later renamed Chapel Street) in 1820. In 1878 the church moved to a new building in Market Square. The congregation ceased to meet in 1986. Congregationalism in Scotland, which recognised the autonomy of congregations of believers regulated by meetings of church members and deacons, can trace its origins to a variety of sources. The main impetus came during the evangelical revival generated by Robert Haldane (1764-1842) and his brother James Haldane (1768-1851) between 1797 and 1808. Preaching centres were opened in major towns and a constitution for Congregational churches was drafted in 1799 by Greville Ewing (1767-1841). By 1807 there were eighty-five Congregational churches. Despite the uncertainty caused by the Haldanes' move to Baptism in 1808 the church survived and a Congregational Union was formed in 1812 to provide support. After suffering a loss of members after the Disruption of 1843, the church was strengthened by merger with the Evangelical Union in 1896. During the 20th century there was talk of union with the English Congregationalists or even with the Church of Scotland but in 2000 the Congregational Union of Scotland merged with the United Reformed Church in the United Kingdom to form the United Reformed Church.
DescriptionMinute books, 1870-1971; Account books, 1894-1982; Church aid collection book, 1926-1945; Sale of work book, 1935-1954; Baptismal certificate books, 1954-1980; Visitors’ book, 1972-1986; Papers relating to church administration, 1874-1986; Title deeds and leases relating to church properties, 1874-1940; Orders of service and photographs, c 1890-1940; Correspondence relating to the appointment of ministers, 1953-1968.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsData protection rules may apply
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.

Show related Persons records.

NA14859; Aberfeldy Congregational Church; 1790-19861790-1986
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020