Ref NoMS67
TitleGlover Incorporation of Perth
Date1329-1983
LevelFonds
HistoryVarious claims have been made as to the antiquity of the glovers in Perth but it seems that there has been an incorporation from at least 1485 when Perth Town Council ratified the customs of the Skinner Craft. The Incorporation does not have a seal of cause but is constituted by use and consuetude. The incorporation included glovers and skinners and there was a flourishing trade in gloves in Perth until the late 18th century. The Glover Incorporation invested the money that it received from membership fees and bought property throughout Perth and further afield. It bought the estate of Seaside in Errol parish in 1851 but this was not a successful investment and it was sold in 1927. More successful was the purchase of the lands of Pomarium in 1642 and the lands of St Leonards. Leonardshall was developed in the late 19th century and early 20th century as a suburb of Perth called Craigie and feued out for building. The incorporation generated a sizeable income from the sale of plots and receipt of feu duty. The feu duties were disposed of in 1981 and the proceeds invested. The Incorporation used the proceeds of their investments to provide charity for members in need or the families of deceased members. The pensioners of the Incorporation were known as eleemosynaries.
Description Minute book, 1593-1726 with some indexes and abstracts compiled in 18th century and 1825 and 1904; Finance ledger, 1593-1776; Title deeds and related papers concerning property owned by the Glover Incorporation including Curfewrow, Pomarium, Soutarhouses, Tullylumb, the lands of St Leonards, in Perth, 1465-1812; Papers relating to the administration of Seaside Estate including tacks, agreements, and papers relating to the fishings, 1857-1899; Tacks, letters and papers relating to the rent and lease of Glover Incorporation property, 1674-1902; Bonds, bills and assignations of the Glover Incorporation, 1700-1745; List of admissions to the Glover Incorporation, 1719-1849; Accounts and vouchers, 1627-1796, 1900-1956; Elemosinary rolls, 1662-1863; Glover Incorporation feu duty records, 1878-1913, 1943-1945; Certificates of existence of annuitants, 1906-1956; Plans relating to Glover Incorporation properties including Seaside, Errol Church, seats in the East Church of Perth, Tullylumb, St Leonards Hall, 18th century-1903; charter by Robert de Holot, knight for the soul of King Robert to the Carmelite Friars of the White Chapel to the north of Perth, c1330; ratification by Perth Town Council of the customs of the skinner craft, 1485; royal prohibition of the export of skins, 1589
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsSubject to physical condition
Related_RecordGB252/B59/29
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14831Glover Incorporation of Perth; 1485-1485-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019