Ref NoMS63
TitleBurt Marshall Ltd, bleachers, Luncarty (latterly Burt Marshall, Lumsden & Slater/Burt Marshall Lumsden Ltd/BML Ltd)
Date1889-1986
LevelFonds
HistoryBurt Marshall Ltd. can trace its origins to 1871 when James Burt Marshall succeeded William Marshall of Rosemount as owner of Luncarty Bleachfield, Perthshire, which had been first established in around 1760 by William Sandeman. Burt Marshall appointed Joseph Read as his partner and manager. After Burt Marshall died in 1900 his business operated under the management of his trustees until 1906 when it was created a limited company. In 1917 Burt Marshall Ltd. became part of the Bleachers Association of Manchester (from 1969 Whitecroft Ltd.), a holding company for a group involved in textiles, building products and engineering. Burt Marshall Ltd. amalgamated with Lumsden & Mackenzie Ltd. of Huntingtowerfield and Pitcairnfield in 1972. The new firm was called Burt Marshall Lumsden and Slater to take account of the similar operations of the recently closed G and J Slater of Bolton. The 'Slater' was dropped soon afterwards. Due to a rationalization the works at Huntingtowerfield and Pitcairnfield were closed in 1982 and all operations transferred to Luncarty. Burt Marshall Lumsden or BML was sold to Dundee Textiles Ltd in 1996 and operations ceased at Luncarty.
DescriptionRecords of work, 1889-1939; Bleaching process book, undated; Insurance plan of Luncarty Bleachfield, 1914: Drawings and plans
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsData protection rules may apply
Related_RecordMS62
MS14/206
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14860; Burt Marshall Ltd.; 1871-1972; bleachers, Luncarty1871-1972
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019