Ref NoMS53
TitleAlexander and Brown, Seed Merchants, Perth.
Date1897-1981
LevelFonds
HistoryIn 1897 a partnership was formed between James Alexander (d 1911) and Alfred W. Brown (1866-1960) to supply seeds and related materials throughout the United Kingdom and further afield. The firm was known as Alexander & Brown, The Scottish Seedhouse, Perth. The business was started in a small shop in the High Street and moved a number of times eventually settling in premises in South Methven Street, Perth. An illustrated catalogue was produced annually which brought in orders from all over the world. Alexander died in 1911 and Brown assumed as his partner Robert Guthrie who had joined the firm in 1897. In 1928 a further three partners were taken on: Charles Morris, James Young and Nigel Wilson. Alfred Brown retired from the business in 1946 on reaching his eightieth birthday and died in 1960. In the 1950s, Robert Black and Andrew Guild became the partners of the company. The firm ceased to trade in 1981 when its name and goodwill were purchased by W. Smith & Son Ltd, Aberdeen who then adopted the name W. Smith & Co Ltd, incorporating Alexander & Brown, the Scottish Seedhouse, Aberdeen.
DescriptionCash books, 1910-1975; Sales ledgers, c 1905-1964; Stock books, c 1936-1964; Illustrated catalogues of seeds and horticultural instruments, 1898-1963; Miscellaneous business papers, 1897-1981.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsSubject to physical condition
Related_RecordGB252/MS124
MS124
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14818Seed merchants; Alexander & Brown; Perth; 1897-1981; Seed merchants1897-1981
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019