Ref NoMS51
TitleJ Pullar & Sons Ltd, dyers and cleaners, Perth
Date1802-1990
LevelFonds
HistoryJohn Pullar & Sons Ltd was founded in 1824 by John Pullar (1803-1878) as a dyers and cleaners. The business expanded rapidly and in 1828 the company moved to Mill Street, Perth. By 1856 Pullars had approximately 100 employees and a chain of 30 agencies. The discovery of a purple aniline dye in 1856 by William Perkin led to a collaboration which resulted in the expansion of the company and an increase to around 500 workers by 1865. The development of dry cleaning and the adoption of the process by Pullars resulted in increased expansion in the 1860s and 1870s. The site at Mill Street was becoming increasingly congested and an additional site at Tulloch on the outskirts of Perth was bought in 1882. In 1895 Robert Pullar (1828-1912) was knighted for his entrepreneurial activities and services to science and education. In 1909 the number of those employed by Pullars peaked at 2,818 and the following year the firm became a limited company under the title John Pullar & Sons Ltd. After the death of Sir Robert Pullar and his brother James Pullar in 1912 the firm experienced some labour difficulties. In 1917 on the death of Rufus Pullar (1861-1917), Sir Robert’s eldest son, the firm was sold to Eastmans Ltd of London but still traded under the name of John Pullar & Sons Ltd. After a serious fire at the Perth Dye Works of P & P Campbell in 1919 that firm came under the control of John Pullar & Sons Ltd, with Peter Campbell becoming a director of the company. Pullars and Eastmans formed Associated Dyers & Cleaners Ltd in 1926 and were joined by Stevenson Brothers (Dundee) Ltd in 1929. Johnson Brothers Ltd bought Associated Cleaners & Dyers Ltd in 1938 and Pullars continued its existence as a subsidiary of the Johnson Group. The offices of Pullars in Perth were eventually used as administrative offices for the Scottish Division of the Johnson Group. Pullars ceased all cleaning operations in Perth in the 1990s.
DescriptionSummaries, ledgers, and accounts relating to shops, 1898-1976; Records relating to pay and wages, 1896-1976; Report books, 1890-1958; Maintenance diaries, 1952-1975; Rent rolls for shops, 1938-1966; Inventories of buildings and plant, 1869-1931; Register of applicants for houses at Tulloch, 1882-1916; Indentures, engagements and bonuses register, 1858-1920; Register of employees, 1927-1975; Records relating to pensions, 1924-1975; Workers council minute books, 1918-1924; Workers representation committee minute books, 1933-1967; Records relating to the Pullar’s fire brigade, 1904-1924; Works notices, 1918-1964; Correspondence, drawings and specifications relating to plant, 1897-1961; Plans for shops and factories, 1863-1976; Pullar’s Golf Club minute books, 1929-1970; Minutes of John Pullar & Sons Ltd, 1930-1982, Arbroath Laundry Ltd, 1960-1990, Stevenson Brothers (Dundee) Ltd, 1965-1990.
Access statusRestricted
Access conditionsData protection rules apply to employee records. Also minute books less than 30 years old also closed.
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14865; John Pullar & Sons Ltd; 1824-; cleaners and dyers, Perth1824-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019