Ref NoMS4
TitlePerth Library
HistoryPerth Subscription Library was established in 1786 and at the time of the New Statistical Account for Perth in 1837 was one of 6 circulating libraries in Perth. When the Marshall Monument was built in George Street in 1822/4 the 5000 or so volumes moved there. In 1837 a fee of 15s per annum entitled a subscriber to the use of the library. The Librarian attended for two hours each lawful day. It is likely that the Library ceased to exist some time after the opening of the Sandeman Public Library, Perth, in 1898.
DescriptionMinute books, 1784-1874; Subscription books, 1786-1843; Recommendations book, 19th century; Accounts, receipts and insurance policies and other administrative papers, 1787-1874; Miscellaneous papers including catalogue of books in the library,1813, and abstract of articles for and rules for the use of the Perth Library, 1786; catalogue of the books of the Perth Literary and Antiquarian Society, 1850 and 1912
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsNone
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service and copyright and other restrictions apply. Applications to quote from the material should be addressed to the Perth & Kinross Council Archivist.

Show related Persons records.

NA14742; Perth Library; 1786-1786-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020