Ref NoMS34
TitleDrummond-Hay of Seggieden
Date1704-1972
LevelFonds
HistoryThe estate of Seggieden, east of Perth, was bought from Sir Thomas Blair of Balthayock in 1652 by John Nairn. He was succeeded by his third daughter, Barbara Hay, wife of Patrick Hay, second son of James Hay of Pitfour. Their son, John Hay inherited the estate and he married Lilias Hay, daughter of John Hay of Pitfour. James Hay of Seggieden (1739-1781) succeeded his father in 1754 and married Jean Donaldson in 1770. He built Seggieden House, which was finished in 1789, in the Adam style. His son, James Hay (1771-1838) inherited the estate in 1781. James Hay pursued a military career and had many commissions including the Eastern Battalion of the Royal Perthshire Local Militia, he was also a deputy lieutenant of Perthshire. He married Margaret Richardson, daughter of John Richardson of Pitfour, in 1801 and their son Captain James Richardson Hay (1802-1854) inherited the estate in 1838. He married in 1833 Margaret Lothian Douglas and succeeded his mother in the estate of Aberargie assuming the name of Richardson-Hay. On his death his daughter, Charlotte Elizabeth Richardson-Hay (1834-1914), inherited the estate. She married Captain Henry Maurice Drummond (1814-1896), son of Admiral Sir Adam Drummond of Megginch, in 1859. The couple assumed the name of Drummond-Hay on their marriage. Captain Henry Drummond-Hay was a captain in the 42nd Royal Highlanders and a keen naturalist. His grandson, James Drummond-Hay (1905-1981) inherited the estate in 1928 and married Lady Margaret Douglas Hamilton in 1930. He was a major in the Scots Guards during the Second World War and served in Germany in the post-war government, returning to live at Seggieden in 1948.
DescriptionFamily and estate papers, 1704-1972, including:Title deeds relating to the estate of Seggieden, 1735-1788; Accounts, receipts and letters relating to the construction of a mansion house at Seggieden, 1772-1775; Estate rentals, 1752-1771; Papers relating to administration of the estate fishings, 1775-1890; Accounts, letters and indentures dealing with the Royal East Perthshire Militia, 1809-1815; Copy apprenticeship indenture between William Burn, architect and William Hay, 1827; Letters to James Hay relating to his son, Patrick’s progress and education and attempts to obtain a cadetship, 1822-1823; Letters to Colonel Henry Maurice Drummond Hay concerning ornithology, and the Natural History Museum at Perth, 1855-1885; Papers relating to the estate of Aberargie, 1808-1833; Valuations, reports and other papers concerning the estate of Urrard, 1818-1826; Meteorological tables extracted from the register at Kinfauns Castle, 1816-1839; Letters, plans and specifications concerning a proposed suspension bridge over the River Garry, 1820-1832; Plans and papers relating to a bridge near the Pass of Killiecrankie, 1832; Letters concerning the Perth to Dundee Railway, 1835-1836; Minutes of meetings of the heritors of Kinfauns concerning the building of a new church, 1868-1869.Volumes, 1809-1925, including: House account books, 1809-1811, 1830-1838; Royal East Perthshire Local Militia letter book, 1813-1830; Account book with James Hay-Robertson, Grocer, 1817-1826; Aberargie Estate Book, 1821-1827; Journal of tour through Italy, Hungary and Austria, 1872; Newspaper cuttings relating to the Boer War, 1899-1903; Printed account of the family of Hay of Leys, 1832; unlisted accruals of house and estate ledgers, family insignia and other papers, c1739-1863
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsSubject to physical condition
Related_RecordMS60
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14766Drummond-Hay; family1700-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019