Ref NoMS19
TitleDunning Mutual Improvement Society, Perth and Kinross
Date1872-1917
LevelFonds
HistoryDunning Mutual Improvement Society was founded in Dunning, Perthshire, in 1858. John Rogerson (1835-1916), 10th Lord Rollo, had a strong interest in the Society and encouraged its development, building a public hall in 1858 for the benefit of the parish where the Society held most of its meetings. The Society had a strong emphasis on improvement through self education and within the Society there was a separate literary branch. Talks were organised on various subjects including literature, philosophy and current affairs, and books were loaned out from a small library. The culmination of the Society’s efforts was the opening, in 1909, of a refurbished hall and a new reading room, the gift of Peter Whyte. The Society appears to have fizzled out by the 1920’s and its demise appears to coincide with the establishment of a County library service.
DescriptionMinute books, 1872-1917; Annual reports, 1888-1916; Library annual reports, 1888-1916; Literary branch report, 1913-1914; Literary branch syllabi, 1909-1911; Miscellanea, including, rules for the management of Dunning Mutual Improvement Society, 1882.
Access statusOpen
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.
LanguageEnglish

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA14755; Dunning Mutual Improvement Society; 1858-19291858-1929
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019