Ref NoMS163
TitleJohn Moncrieff Ltd
Date1859-1995
LevelFonds
HistoryMoncrieff's was founded by John Moncrieff in 1865. He had learnt the glass trade at one of the existing Perth Glassworks, Tomey and Sons, before setting up on his own. By the end of the century, John Moncrieff had not only absorbed Tomeys's works, but had diversified by taking over the Perth ink company of John Todd and Sons, which remained part of its production until the 1930s. Moncrieff's specialized in the production of heat resistant engineering and laboratory glass, and for many years "Perth" quality glass tubes were the standard for steam engines throughout the world. At the start of the twentieth century "Perth" glass began to be replaced by "Unific", a borosilicate glass developed by Moncrieffs which was resistant to thermal shocks and more suitable for the higher pressures being used in boilers. An offshoot, the Monish Glass Machine Company, made bottle-making equipment. Moncrieff's became a limited company in 1905 and was on the same site in St Catherine's Road from the 1880's up until the 1990s. Most of the buildings date from the late 1800's with the exception of the main furnace shed, which was probably built between the wars. During the First World War, Moncrieff's were asked by the government to develop laboratory glassware, which until then had been mainly imported, and the company developed a new formula borosilicate glass specifically for this purpose. The new glass was developed further between the wars. The company grew quickly when new uses were found for this type of glassware as scientific research began to expand throughout industry and in schools universities and hospitals. Further development came with 'Monart' art glass, manufactured between the 1930s and 1960s, and which are now highly collectable. John Moncreiff was succeeded as Managing Director by his son, John Moncrieff Jnr. He died in 1950 and by 1952 control of the company passed to David Bernie and Sons of Glasgow. The company prospered until the 1970's, but changed hands a number of times during 1980's and 1990's. The last piece of glass made in the Perth factory left on December 21 1995. Source: http://www.jmoncrieff.co.uk/Sites/history.html, 2004; NRA(S) Survey
DescriptionFinancial records of John Moncrieff Ltd, including subsidiaries Tomey and Sons and Monish Glass Co., 1859-1981; Administrative records of John Moncrieff Ltd, including subsidiaries Tomey and Sons and Monish Glass co., 1919-1983; Employee Records, 1900-1973; Promotional emphemera, nd, 1895-1980s; Production records, n.d, 1911-1995.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsSubject to preservation requirements. Access also conforms to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act and any other appropriate legislation.
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service and copyright and other restrictions may apply. Applications to quote from the material should be addressed to the Perth & Kinross Council Archivist.
LanguageEnglish
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019