Ref NoMS122
TitleFlesher Incorporation, Perth
HistoryThe earliest mention of the Perth Flesher Incorporation is in 1634 but it seems likely that the incorporation had been in existence before this date. Fleshers, or butchers, worked with meats of all types, and had their stalls in South Street, before building the Fleshmarket by St John's Kirk. The rules concerning non-incorporated fleshers were gradually relaxed and strangers were admitted on market days on payment of the dues. By the end of the eighteenth century, such regulations were falling into disuse, and fleshers from Perth and elsewhere were selling their meat throughout the burgh and its suburbs. With the exclusive privileges of trade in decline, they were finally abolished in 1846 by the Abolition of Exclusive Privilege of Trading in Burghs in Scotland Act (9 & 10 Vict., c.17). Thereafter the functions of the Incorporation were purely charitable. The Fleshers often incorporated with other trades to form united trades who had a right to representation in the council of the burgh along with representatives from the merchant guild. The representation on the council by trades and merchants was abolished in 1833 by the Royal Burghs (Scotland) Act (3 & 4 Will. IV, c. 76) which provided for an elected town council.
DescriptionMinute books, 1761-1936; Committee minute books, 1907-1935; Letter books, 1925-1957; Account books, 1878-1958; Cash books, 1916-1967; Rent ledger, 1934-1957; Legal and financial papers, bonds and discharges, accounts and receipts, relating to the administration of the incorporation, 1634-1910.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsData protection rules may apply
CopyingReproduction is available subject to preservation requirements, copyright and data protection restrictions. Charges are made for this service. Applications should be made to Archive staff.

Show related Persons records.

NA14725; Flesher Incorporation, Perth
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020